Glen Gallagher Truck Pictures Collection
Glen Gallager Truck Pictures

Last Updated on :

You may download any image for personal** or non-commercial use only.

**Personal does NOT mean you can post them on your own YouTube or FaceBook pages.

  1934 Haynes, Gibson and HH Gallagher Gordon Downey, Bert Scott, Harold Gallagher
T60 - 27 Ton shovel
taken on the Hope Bridge
Glen Gallagher  
Load of poles hauled to UBC around 1944. The driver was Henry Barber. This picture was taken at the approach to the Patulla Bridge. Coquihalla Bridge  

    Taken in Chilliwack, BC
Decco-Walton Camp 5 Gallagher Bus Lines of Hope, BC. Taking crew out on long weekends. Glen Gallagher Collection. Photo taken at an
ATA ( Automotive Transport Association ) banquet
Pages taken from a History of Hope, BC telling some of the history of Harold 'HH' Gallagher


Jack Johnston,who was employed as a driver for Harold Gallagher's bus service in Hope B.C. had been stuck in Laidlaw for three days by snowdrifts. Snow ploughs were stranded there as well and finally on Saturday January 19 1935 they managed to break through and reach Hope. Jack had no passengers on board but had a full load for the LCB at Hope. On Sunday it started to snow hard again and Mr. Gallagher came to the Johnston home and said someone had to go to the B.C.Nickel Mine (later known as Giant Mascot) and someone had to go to Chilliwack with the Royal Mail which hadn't moved for five days. Jack replied he would prefer to go to Chilliwack with the mail instead of the mine because of the heavy snow. He made it to Restmore Lodge at Hunter Creek where he came upon several slides so he proceeded on foot with the mail bag slung over his back. He reached a Relief Camp at Jones Hill about 5 P.M. where he had a meal and hot coffee. He started out again and arrived at Earle Archibald's Rosedale Grocery Store about 5 A.M. Monday morning. Earle and his wife reported that Jack looked like an Ice Man--for he was completely caked in ice and snow and was exhausted. Jack said that for the last few miles he thought he wouldn't make it but the will to survive kept him plodding on. He became very ill at the Archibald's and had to remain in bed for three days suffering from exposure and hypothermia. One week after leaving Hope Jack returned via the CNR snow plow train breaking through for the first time since the storm. At this time the only telephones in Hope were connected via the C N Telegraph service and were also out of service, so he was unable to contact his wife Alice until he walked in the door.

Thanks to Alice Johnston who wrote this May 29 1981

E-Mail any comments to Hank Suderman         E-Mail any comments to Kevin Duddy
Back to the Main Transportation Page
Back to the Trucks Page