Greyhound Memories in British Columbia

Kootenay Lake Ferry



Last Updated on :

You may download any image for personal** or non-commercial use only.
**Personal does NOT mean you can post them online
in any form, on your own YouTube or FaceBook pages.


Click on the picture to bring up a larger image




Kootenay Lake Ferry

The Nasookin was fabricated at Port Arthur Ontario and assembled and launched at Nelson in 1913. She served as a connection steamer from Nelson and Proctor to Kootenay Landing. With the completion of the CPR rails on the west side of the Lake between Kootenay Landing and Proctor and the completion of Highway 3 on the east side of the Lake at the end of 1930, the Nasookin in April 1931 started a new life as a Ferry. Space across the bow was made for one truck or one bus. Side loading provided space for 30 cars. Three round trips were operated daily, the Nelson-Creston freight trucks occupied two trips and Greyhound Lines filled the other. Later the Nelson-Creston trucks had vans that could be lowered to fit in the side deck doors. The Nasookin was chartered by the BC Government until February 1933 and then bought from the CPR by the Province. Most of the two top stateroom decks were stripped off as they were no longer needed and this improved the handling of the ship in the usual cross winds. During refit times and in later years when increasing summer traffic demanded, the Moyie was chartered with a transfer barge from the CPR. The Nasookin provided the service until 1947 when she was replaced by the Anscomb. The Nasookin sailed from Fraser's Landing (slightly west of Balfour) to Gray Creek in Crawford Bay on the east side of the Lake. The DPW had extended Highway 3 north from Gray Creek just over 8 miles to Kootenay Bay and a new terminal was built there. They also built a new terminal at Balfour cutting the run from 80 minutes to 40 minutes. The DPW had wanted to build the west side terminal at Queen's Bay, but the crew, who were mostly from Proctor and where the Nasookin had tied up at night objected. Balfour was their choice because it is just a short row to Proctor for commuting and also more sheltered from the weather and flotsam than Queen’s Bay would be. The cross deck loading required a short wheelbase coach and because of a 30 Foot overall length limit in the Fraser Canyon, Motor Coach Industries began building the Courier 100 in 1945 (the 500's), until by 1949 they had built 60 of this model, a 33 passenger coach 29 feet 10 inches long. Beginning in 1947 and to 1950 MCI built 65 Courier 200's, (the 700's), a 33 foot coach, which were not supposed to travel west of Yahk/Kingsgate until the Nasookin was retired and finally the model 85, the 800's, which were the same OAL as the 700's, a 37 passenger bus. The 500's and the 800's were International power, the newer ones Red Diamond 450 cid. The 700's had Continental engines and were disliked by the Nelson drivers. The twelve 600's which had been built in 1941 by MCI and were powered by Hall-Scott pancake engines also came thru the Crow. They were chartered by the Northwest Service Command of the U S Army Corp. of Engineers in 1942 and based out of Dawson Creek until Nov 1944. The 600's seldom came west of Yahk after they returned from Dawson Creek and were replaced a bit early, their service on the Alcan had taken it's toll. Later came the 95's built from 1954 to 1956, same size as the 800's, 37 passenger, but diesel powered. The 96's were next but 35 feet long, 41 passenger and equipped with air ride, the MC One was the next model built in 1959 also 35 feet and 41 passenger. The MC 2 in 1961 and the MC 3 in 1962 the same dimensions as the Ones except washroom equipped and 39 passenger. The MC-1 was a 4-71 Detroit Diesel, the MC 2 and 3's, 6 cyl. Detroit's. When the Anscomb replaced the Nasookin problems soon appeared again. The Anscomb had been built with only eleven foot six inch drive thru height clearance. The original plans had called for 12ft. 6 in. but when assembled in Nelson she was 1 foot short and when larger commercial vehicles appeared in the early fifties, they could only be loaded on the bow and stern, causing big rig drivers to have to back down the ramp at Balfour and if too many to load or if the driver couldn't do it,causing the Captain to have to turn the Anscomb around. This continued until 1959 when the houseworks were raised three feet, causing much celebration by the Nelson drivers who had been delayed many times, the Captains who had to do the extra maneuvers, and most of all, the truck drivers who didn't have to back down the Balfour Dock ever again. Not in our time frame but of interest after the 1972 upgrade, the MOTH lists the Anscomb’s Overhead Clearance as 15 ft. 8in., too bad it wasn’t that dimension originally. In 1954 the MV Balfour was added due to increasing traffic and is still in service during the summer season and when required to replace the Osprey 2000, the ferry that replaced the Anscomb in 2000. Nelson drivers had two other ferries to contend with, a cable ferry on the West Arm in Nelson replaced by the Orange Bridge connection to the North Shore in 1957, and another cable ferry at Castlegar.

The Nasookin is arriving at Gray Creek with a Western Canadian Greyhound 1937 Kenworth, Brassy on the deck by the ladder May 24 1942 or 1945. An article showing the launching of the Kootenay Lake ferry, Anscomb. The Anscomb was built to replace the sternwheeler, Nasookin. Mike Duddy Collection.
Kootenay Lake Ferries, the MV Anscomb taken from the deck of the MV Balfour. This picture shows the MV Anscomb before the houseworks were raised. MV Anscomb taken on Kootenay Lake showing the MV Anscomb after the 4 1/2 foot raising.
Taken on the Anscomb Taken on the Nasookin Brassy Photo, taken on the Anscomb
Taken on the Nasookin Taken on the Nasookin Taken on the Nasookin
George Mermet Coach #W511 taken at Kootenay Bay. The driver is Frank Bach.
Note in the left photo, MV Anscomb can be seen in the background.
"Brassy" on the Nasookin having coffee Brassie sitting on the dock at Fraser’s Landing. Brassy and George Mermet



Here is a picture taken of the official opening of the Nelson Bridge on November 7, 1957. There was a Greyhound agent at the Balfour ferry landing from 1947 to 1963 and apparently this sign was tossed into the lake. At some point a diver found it, or perhps a swimmer and it now hangs in Langs Restaurant on the lake front in Balfour. The owner, Ron Lang evidently thought it was worth hanging up. Its a bit rusty from its years of immersion. Thank you Tom Lymberg and Ron Lang for this photo.





E-Mail any comments to Hank Suderman         E-Mail any comments to Bruce Harger
Back to the Main Transportation Page
Back to the Trucks Page