BC Line Drivers Pre-1965 Collection

On The Cariboo Road

Last Updated on :

You may download any image for personal** or non-commercial use only.
**Personal does NOT mean you can post them online
in any form, on your own YouTube or FaceBook pages.

Click on the picture to bring up a larger image

Back to Main Menu Page

There are many pictures in this collection that we have not been able to get names for the people in the pictures.
If you know the people in these pictures, please let either Hank Suderman or Kevin Duddy or Bruce Harger know via email.

On The Cariboo Road

Previous to the opening of the Hope Princeton Highway in November 1949, there were only two routes to the interior of BC from the coast. One was via Washington state, the other was up the Fraser Canyon.

South Okanagan and Boundary Kootenay trucks turned at Spences Bridge through Merritt to Princeton and then east.

Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Vernon and Kelowna turned east at Cache Creek. Cariboo and north went straight ahead on Highway 2.

Pre 1954, the Fraser Canyon was restricted to 30 feet over all length and 30,000 punds GVW. After 1954, 40,000 GVW and after 1957 to 40 feet over all length.

To operate bigger rigs north about 1954 first Lynden Transfer, Lee's Transport, Carson Truck Lines and Derban Peace River Transport began running north via Princeton to Spences Bridge. Anything over 68,000 GVW had to run Highway 5 to Kamloops and back Highway 1 (Trans Canada Highway) to Cache Creek before turning north on Highway 97. This lasted until 1962/63 when all restrictions were removes through the Fraser Canyon.

Vancouver to the Fraser Valley, the Interior or Seattle before opening of Pattullo Bridge in 1937 was via the top deck of the New Westminster Rail Bridge built in 1904.

The top deck was one way for trucks at a 25 cent toll. Pattullo Bridge was also tolled until 1952 and was BC Highway 1 until the Port Mann bridge and freeway opened in 1964.

The Alexandra Bridge (1926) also was subject to Tolls for the Fraser Canyon until 1947. It was a fine bridge and still stands.

The Fraser Canyon weight restrictions (30000- 40000 lbs) were mainly for the many wooden bridges and trestles.

BC Map
Phil Gaglardi standing beside a sign that was seen all over the BC highways in the 1950's during construction. This was taken in 1953 from McLean's Magazine. 1937 Federal truck for Vanderspek's Transport taken in the Fraser Canyon in 1937. Castlegar Ferry taken around 1955
BC shortest ferry
Bentall Collection
"Pendozi" Kelowna - Westbank Ferry
taken in the late 1940's
Later photo taken of the Pattullo Bridge with ice in the Fraser River taken from the New Westminster side. Trans Canada Highway taken at Jones Hill between Chilliwack and Hope in the 1950's. Lorne Findlay Collection 1987
The construction gate on the Hope – Princeton Highway (1949) is at the bottom of Nine Mile hill. Penticton Herald Collection. Fraser Canyon first Road Patrol driven by Constable Hector Bonner. "Heck" was there over 20 years. Note the "switchback road". Taken around 1927. The car shown is very old and BC did have right hand drive until about 1923 but the station at Spuzzum wasn’t there until the bridge opened in 1926 so I guess Victoria didn’t think he needed a new Patrol Car. When the RCMP took over in 1951 they moved from Spuzzum to Boston Bar. Vintage Canada Collection. Heck Bonner with his new 1949 Ford BCPP Highway Patrol car at Spuzzum (one of the first B&W)
Matt McGibbon collects $10 toll from Eric Fox, Fox Brothers' Federal 1937 @ Spuzzum Toll Gate. Vintage Canada Collection. Toll/BCPP building, in 1938 the Toll Gate moved to Yale until the tolls were removed on April 1 1947 Yale, BC toll booth & gate opened in 1938. The toll was abolished on April 1, 1947. Roadrunner Magazine Collection.
Alexandra Bridge (the second one) in the Fraser Canyon. Taken on Okanagan Lake between Penticton and Summerland in the 1920's.

Fraser River Bridge at New Westminster. A low level road/rail bridge built in 1904. The cost of this bridge was $1,000,000 and built by the Province of BC. It was the first crossing of the Lower Fraser River.

The bridge was originally used by Canadian Northern Pacific Railroad, Vancouver Victoria & Eastern Railroad and BC Electric Railroad. Road traffic was on the top level. This is a fine example of late 19th Century engineering. The length of the steel spans was 2400 feet, plus 7715 feet of timber approach trestles.The foundations driven as much as 141 feet below the high water level. Nelson Island Granite used for facing pier shafts. The upper level was only one-way with for trucks. The upper level roadway was dismantled after the Pattullo Bridge was built in 1937. The steel salvaged was used in 1957 for the Keith Road Crossing of Brothers Creek in West Vancouver.

Some pictures found on the Internet showing the construction of the Pattullo Bridge
Pattullo Bridge toll booths at the south end of the bridge (Surrey side). The tolls were imposed in 1937, when the bridge first opened. Then on February 12, 1952 the toll was lifted. A colorized postcard showing the Pattullo Bridge from the New Westminster side.  

R.R. Moffat from Alexandria was an early operator in the 1920’s and early 30’s around the Quesnel area and Wells mostly with Fords. These were some of his first pneumatic tired rigs in the area.

Roddy went to Bralorne for Neal Evans in the mid thirties later selling his rigs to Evans. During 1947 he bought a new Dodge Freight truck that his grandson Roy still has at Alexandria. Thank you Roy Moffat for these pictures.

Roddy Moffat and Tom Windt going to the coal mine at Kersley, BC. R.R. Moffat Ford going to Wells
Barrels from the bulk plant at Barkerville heading for Quesnel, BC Roddy Moffat taken along the Barkerville Road going to Wells

E-Mail any comments to Hank Suderman         E-Mail any comments to Kevin Duddy or Bruce Harger
Back to the Main Transportation Page
Back to the Trucks Page